Patient treated by MPN physician

•What if I am being treated by a MPN doctor who decides to leave the MPN?

Your employer or insurer has a written “Continuity of Care” policy that will determine whether you can temporarily continue treatment for an existing work injury with your doctor if your doctor is no longer participating in the MPN.

If your employer decides that you do not qualify to continuing your care with the non-MPN provider, you and your primary treating physician must receive a letter of notification.

If you meet certain conditions, you may qualify to continue treating with this doctor for up to a year before you must switch to MPN physicians. These conditions are set forth in the box above, “Can I Continue Being Treated By My Doctor?”

You can disagree with your employer’s decision to deny you Continuity of Care with the terminated MPN provider. If you want to continue treating with the terminated doctor, ask your primary treating physician for a medical report on whether you have one of the four conditions stated in the box above to see if you qualify to continue treating with your current doctor temporarily.

Your primary treating physician has 20 days from the date of your request to give you a copy of his/her medical report on your condition. If your primary treating physician does not give you the report within 20 days of your request, the employer can transfer your care into the MPN and you will be required to use a MPN physician.

You will need to give a copy of the report to your employer if you wish to postpone the transfer of your care into the MPN. If you or your employer disagrees with your doctor’s report on your condition, you or your employer can dispute it. See the complete Continuity of Care policy for more details on the dispute resolution process.

No comments:

Medical Billing Popular Articles